Thai Mango Sticky Sweet Rice Dessert (Khao Niaow Ma Muang) is my favourite dessert. It's look like easy to make but I all fail to make it nice! This dessert starts with Steam Glutinous rice (also call sticky rice) and soak in a sweet coconut (coconut milk mix with sugar) then topped with slices of fresh mango. If you like mango you're going to love this very simple but tropical dessert. Yummm!
- 500 gm good quality glutinous rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 gm white grated coconut or coconut cream 3/4 cup, coconut milk 2-1/4 cup
- 200-300 gm sugar
- Clean the rice, picking out any grains of non-glutinous rice that may be mixed in, then soak the rice overnight, or at least 3 hours.
- Drain the rice, place in a steamer tray lined with cheesecloth, and steam about 20-30 mins after the water has begun boil.
- Mix 1 cup warm water with coconut and squeeze out 2-1/4 cups coconut milk.
- Dissolve salt and sugar in the coconut milk in the big bowl or big container and stir until sugar it melt and set 1/2 cup aside to be used when serving.
- When rice is done, pour the rice into the bowl of coconut milk and cover for a while to allow the coconut milk to mingle with the rice thoroughly. When serving spoon some of the coconut milk set aside earlier over the rice and place the ripe mango.