Sunday 23 January 2011

Khanom Phing - Coconut Creamy Cookies

Coconut Creamy Cookies or Khanom Phing made from tapioca flour and sugar. Then baked until crispy creamy and yellow. Khanom Phing in the past will be sweet. The seductive aroma, brown and will melt in your mouth when eaten immediately. Traditionally, Kha-Nhom Phing is contained in a small glass and use to gift on New Year.

I remember when I was a little girl, I saw my neighbour bake this dessert without oven. They’re used a charcoal on top and bottom. I still remember the test of this cookies, it’s sweet and creamy. I eat a lot during my olden day until I don't really like to eat it now and I never think of making this cookies, first of all I don't like it, 2nd thing this cookies in Thailand are so common and you can find it every where in the market.

In Singapore they do have this dessert too and they call Kueh Bangkit, is a Penang Nyonya cookie and it is an all time favorite in Penang. And become to Singapore and Malaysia culture to include this cookie in New Year Festivals. 


This time again my friends asked me to make and my family also like it too. I also had a Thai Dessert Book Recipe but I still do searched some recipe from internet too and found the recipe from Aunty Yochana, seem the recipe is similar with our Thai style, so I use her recipe and adapted a bit in the method, and the cookies came out was nice, even not melted in your mouth but everybody said well done.

I would like to thank you to Aunty Yochana for sharing a wonderful recipe.  

Ingredient;

-          500 gm tapioca flour
-          220 gm sugar
-          250 gm coconut cream
-          3 egg yolks
-          Pandan leaves – cut into piece

Method (I has adapted from Aunty Yachana as my book)
  
 1. Dry fry flour with pandan leaves over low heat. Sieve flour and remove pandan leaves and let it cool. 
2. Mix coconut cream with sugar and put over the low-mid heat, stir until the sugar and coconut cream become thicker. Remove from the heat and leave aside to cool down.

3. Add egg yolks into the coconut cream and stir well.

4. Pour a coconut mixture into the flour and mix till pliable dough.

5. Leave the dough 2-3 hour or overnight (to make the mixture got into the flour)

6. Roll out and cut it or shape the dough like small ball as I did, or you can shape what ever you like.

7. Place on the baking try, bake at 160C for 15-20 mins. Cookies should be whitish in colour.  

8. Pack into the air tight container to prevent cookies will be soft.  

I has tried to make this shape as Kueh Bangkit Singapore style but I forgot about the red dot on top of cookies ;-)   



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...