Wednesday 21 April 2010

Nga-Kee-Mon Bread

Nga-Kee_Mon or LAMIACEAE is Perilla Frutecens (Linn.) Britt. They are a plant from a mints family. It’s different from a black sesame or white sesame, which it a Sesamum indicum, It most popular widely grown this in Northern Thailand. And the harvest will be the same time as harvest rice, which it around Nov-Dec. It’s look like poppy seed too.

Yesterday the weather to hot and I’m thinking to bake bread for my hubby. To me, I like to try some thing new all the time, either recipe or change some of the ingredient. Then I decided to make some change. I took the old recipe from my book and try to change a bit of ingredient. I used whipping cream instead of milk and warm water and I hope the result turn out is not so bad ;-)


Also I add the some whole-wheat flour coz my hubby like to eat healthy bread. I put all ingredient into my bread maker and set the dough program about 1 ½ hours then bring out the shape and bake. I’m so disappointed my dough doesn’t rise so well and I tried to leave it longer still not any prove. I don’t care just put it in the oven to bake hahahaha.

But after finished bake, my bread doesn’t look as bad as I though, the only not a perfect for my hubby was the test too sweet for him, but for me or whose like sweet bread it’s alright. Even though the bread was sweet to him but he eat half of it, after I took out from the oven.

Please enjoy with what you do and what you like!! ;-)
Cheers!!

This is the recipe I have changed.
Nga-Kee-Mon Bread

Ingredients
  • 150g bread flour
  • 50g whole-wheat flour
  • 50g cake flour
  • 50g sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 6g dry yeast – dissolve in 25g tap water
  • 28g egg (beat, and then measure abt ½ eggs)
  • 120g whipping cream (if you whipping cream already sweet should reduce the sugar by ½)
  • 15g canola oil/sunflower oil
  • 30g Nga-Kee-Mon,
1) Dissolve yeast in 25g water and wait for 5 mins to become frothy.
2) Mix the yeast with the remaining all ingredients (except butter/oil) together to form a dough. Then add butter/oil and knead into smooth and elastic dough. Add in black sesame seeds towards the end of kneading.
3) Round the dough, cover and ferment until double in size, about 45 mins to 1 hour.
4) Punch down the dough to release some air. Shapes the dough a you prefers.
5) Cover with plastic wrap and prove for 45 mins to 1 hour.
6) Brush top with beaten egg (additional) and bake in preheated 190C oven for 15 to 20 mins or until cooked.

Note: With this dough, you can add in dried fruits like raisins, or chopped nuts etc. and fermentation and proving times may different.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...