You can make your own Foi Thong, but in Thailand we buy is more easy ;-)
You can try this recipe, if you like to do so.
Ingredients of Foi Thong:
- 10 duck's eggs
- 5 hen's eaggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups jasmine scented water or normal water
- Mixing sugar and jusmine water, heating until the sugar dissolves. Continue heating to the consistency of syrub.
- Break eggs and seperate yolks from white. collect the densest portion of the egg whites and set aside separately. remove all membrane from the yolks and mix the yolk with 2-3 tbsp of the dense portion of the whites.
- Heat syrub in copper pan over fairy low heat. Place egg in narrow stemmed funnel and moving the funnel in circles above the hot syrup, drop a thread of egg into the syrup, making 10-30 revolutions.
- When the egg has firmed (about 2 minutes), fold the thread over upon itself to form a raft, using a pointed wooden skewer.
- Then remove, and place in a jar scented with a fragrant candle and jusmine.
Put into small pan
For the cake I use spongecake as the recepi below;
Basic Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 100 gm cake flour
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 12 gm spongecake stabliser
- 25 gm milk
- 90 gm melted butter
- 200-250 gm Foi Thong
- Put all the ingredients except the melted butter into a mixing bowl
- Beat everything on high for at least 7-10 mins until ribbon stage.This will be the right constitency for your batter. Add in melted butter at this stage and mix in thoroughly.
- Line some baking paper into 9 inch cake tin. Place Foi Thong dessert all over the the bottom of the tin and springer a bit of syrup. You can put more as you like.
- Pour batter over the Foi Thong. In the baking tray place the wet newspaper and put the cake tin on top and bake it in a preheated oven at 190C for about 20-30 minutes or untin the cake it's done.
- Take out and leave the cake cool for 5 minutes and then turn over the cake into wire rack or plate and let the cake is complete cool. Cut and serve with coffee or tea.