- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugau
- pinch of salt
- 75 g butter, cut into small pieces
- 40 g cherries chopped
- 40 g sultanas (gloden saisin)
- 1 egg beaten
- 50 ml milk
- Lightly grease a baking tray (cookies sheet)
- Sieve (strain) the flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your finger until the scone mixture resembles breadscrumbs.
- Stir in the candies or cherry and sultanas.Add the egg.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the milk for glazing, then add the remainder to the mixture. Mix together to form a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dought to a thickness of 2 cm and cut out 8 scones, using a 5 cm/2 inch cutter.
- Place the scone on to the baking tray and brush with the reserved milk.
- Bake in a preheatd oven, 220 C for 8-10 minutes or until the scone are gloden brown.
- Leave to cool on the wire rack, then serve split and buttered.